Monday, March 5, 2012

The Sneetches

Just a quick little post for a quick little cross-curricular activity we did today. We finished up our unit on Black History Month last week, so I was looking for a way to briefly review the key ideas from this unit. Furthermore, we have been focusing a great deal on making deep connections, and I love to tie in this reading strategy whenever I can. AND....March is the month of "Seuss" therefore, I had to make sure he was involved as well. And where did this all lead me....to "The Sneetches"




This book helped me create a short, 20 minute lesson, that incorporated all three of these things!

First, we read. I asked the students to share any connections they were able to make with the class orally while I read aloud! I can tell you that within seconds they were all connecting it back to what had taken place in the all the biographies we had read during our Black History Month study.

After reading, the students had to decide upon one of their deep connections to write down and reflect on how it helped them to better understand the story. Here are some examples (one connected it to Martin Luther King Jr., one did her own thing!:



You can download the connection sheet I created here for free!
(Border is by Scrappin Doodles :))

To finish up the lesson, I created a poster with the heading "How to (NOT) be like the Sneetches". We briefly brainstormed different things we could do to be the opposite of the Sneetches. For example, talk to someone/play with someone new, go out of our way to help someone, make sure we include people in the games we play etc. I told the kids that throughout the week I would like them to try to do some of these things. After they do, they can come to the classroom and share what they did to be "NOT" like the Sneetches on a small post it note and attach their post-it to the poster. At the end of the week, we will read and reflect on what we have done/written. I'll try to remember to post a picture of our completed poster at the end of the week for you guys, so you can see how it turned out!

Happy Monday! Whoo!




7 comments:

  1. We love your Blog! It is so lovely! Please come on over claim your award!
    3 Teacher Chicks

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great activity and wonderful responses from your students! Thanks so much for sharing with us. :)
    I'm your newest follower!

    Second Grade Sugar and Spice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I thoroughly enjoy following your blog as well :)

      Delete
  3. I love your blog and your freebie! The Sneetches is one of my favorite stories. I always use it when we study accepting differences in others.

    Second Grade Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. T! I agree it is a perfect book for teaching this big idea!

      Delete
  4. Love your connections and your blog I am your newest follower! :)

    Emily
    Ms. Harris’s Mon-“stars”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! Looking forward to checking out your blog as well :)

      Delete