Sunday, April 8, 2012

Super Sunday

First of all, Happy Easter everyone, and God bless!

Second, it's "Super" Sunday! Just have a quick super activity we did during the week to share with you all. It has been quite the busy weekend, and still have lots to do tonight to prepare for the week!

This week we culminated our unit on conserving natural resources by creating "Recycling Superheroes". To kick off this activity, I always read one of my favorite stories with my students that just ties in absolutely perfectly- "Michael Recycle", by Ellie Bethel. It's a story about a super hero (decked out in recycled goods) who goes to a town and encourages them to be more "green". After, I read the story each year, I share with my students that they will be creating "Recycling Superheroes", like Michael, out of recyclable goods, and will then write stories about the adventures of their "green" heroes. I will note that I usually read this story the day before spring break or before a weekend to give my students the opportunity to collect recyclable materials from their houses to bring in. I usually also send a note home that day explaining our activity to parents or stick it in my newsletter too! I would def. give yourself a little time to collect enough recyclable items to create the superheroes- because the more available to the students- the more creative they tend to be!


Here are some of the "Recycling Superheroes" my students created this school year!




One of my groups even created this skateboard for their superhero to get around! haha. I love second grade creativity!

This activity is included in my "It's Good to be Green" supplemental unit along with corresponding writing paper used to write about the adventures of the "Recycling Superheroes! Click on the image below if you'd like to check out our whole unit!




9 comments:

  1. Very cute! Thanks for sharing! I love how creative your kiddos were.

    Krista
    stellar-students

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing how much creativity children have! They did much better than I could have I think, and think so outside of the box!

      Delete
  2. Those 'green' superheros are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! I was impressed with their creations myself!

      Delete
  3. Great idea and I love that book!!

    heathernnance@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a good one! While I was looking for an image of it, I think I ran across some others that appear to be part of the same series! Look it up- we may have to buy some more ;)!

      Delete
  4. You've been tagged!

    http://fisdmonstars.blogspot.com/2012/04/ive-been-tagged-and-survival-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Krista,

    First of all I love your products. My students already did "NiƱos Verdes" writing which was perfect for our 3rs unit. I was thinking about doing El Superheroe de Reciclaje writing too, but did you have a rubric that you used...or how did you guide them to write their story?
    Thank you,

    D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not have a specific rubric that I used to be honest. But what I did do was a created a paragraph frame on chart paper for them to work from. This helped guide them to include things then like the name, where he/she lives, what he/she was made from, and the superpower it possesses etc. They were able to add more if they liked but all groups had to include some of those key elements/phrases. Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions, I would be happy to help!

      Delete