Monday, July 23, 2012

"Super Five" Bookmarks


Another "Monday Made It"...gosh I love these days! The ideas you all come up with are just so much fun (...and at times detrimental to my checkbook ;)). 

So this past week I finished up "Super Five/Súper Cinco" Bookmarks for my kiddos next year. (Super Five is my version of "The Daily Five" based on the book "The Daily Five" by Gail Boushey and Joan Moser).

Here is the finished product...with a little explanation for everybody:



I am hoping since my kiddos have never done the "The Daily Five" before (they are used to centers), that it will give them (...and me for that matter) a little more structure in starting the process, while still having some choice in the matter as well. 

Here are the bookmarks in English and Spanish for "Super Five" or "Súper Cinco" if you'd like to make your own copy. (You will need to add an accent to the Spanish version on "Súper" as the font I used would not allow it, and for some reason I just could not get a line small enough to suffice.) The font is Kevin & Amanda and Graphics are from Scrappin' Doodles.


Here is also a version of the bookmarks for "The Daily Five" or "Diariamente Cinco" if you prefer this over the super themed ones.












19 comments:

  1. Cute! I like the idea of a bookmark. I made a clip chart for my rotations as well. I think it will help with organization as well:)

    Aloha,
    Corinna
    Surfin' Through Second

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! Sometimes the kiddos just need a little more guidance to get it up and runnin!

      Delete
  2. I have to pick your brain...How would you explain this to your children??
    This is my first year introducing the daily 5 too and I really like these:)
    Thanks..I love them:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After explicitly teaching and giving them practice with each of the Daily 5 rotations, I will introduce the bookmark. Explaining to the students that each will receive a clip with their corresponding number. They must start at the top of their bookmark, and move their clip with each rotation that we make. If they have a guided reading group with me, they will leave their clip where it is and precede with their rotation and clip moving after group. I will have the container with the new bookmarks set in a designated place in the classroom and once they finish their bookmark they simply return it and remove their clip and select a new one of a different color. I would def. monitor their use and point out students who are using them effectively and model ineffective use. They should pick up on it pretty quick! Hope this helps :)!

      Delete
  3. I used Daily 5 Bookmarks in my class last year because they weren't ready to choose their own rotations. It worked well for the most part because the kids could go directly to where they needed to be and it limited the number of students doing each activity. I also included work with the teacher on each bookmark in a different spot on each colored set of bookmarks. That way the students knew exactly when I would meet with their reading group for guided reading.
    Lauren
    http://thetravelingthirdgradeteacher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the addition of the work with a teacher sounds like a great idea as well. Thanks for sharing, Lauren!

      Delete
  4. I love these! I wish I could steal your super theme - it makes everything so much more upbeat and fun! Los super cinco...seriously, me muero!

    It's weird we both posted daily 5 freebies on the same day! Brain waves!
    Laura
    Mrs. Castro's Class

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bookmarks are such a great idea!! They are so cute!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful blog! I found you through your Facebook page and am your newest follower. I am having a giveaway on my blog, stop by!
    Dana
    Fun in 1st Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dana! I will most definitely come check it out!

      Delete
  7. I love the Super Cinco translation! It's like working with super powers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your Blog! I'm your newest follower!
    ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalie! Looking forward to checking out your blog as well!

      Delete
  9. I can't tell you how happy I am that you commented on my blog and I found you! I am going to be teaching this year at a school with a 50% spanish speaking population and I haven't had spanish since my freshman year of college! Thank you for your Daily 5 Resources and for sharing the picture books in spanish! I will be checking back often for some more awesome resources! If you have any advice or tips please let me know! I'm going to need all the help I can get!

    Sarah
    Laughing with Lane

    ReplyDelete